- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 6- inch piece of lemongrass, tough outer layers removed, and stalk lightly smashed with the back of your knife
- 1 pound golden beets, peeled and diced
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 5 cups water or vegetable stock
- 15- ounce can coconut milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
Cook the vegetables:
- Heat a little oil in a large pot and add the lemongrass. Let it sizzle for about 1 minute until fragrant. Add the carrots and golden beets. Cook the vegetables in the oil for 2–3 minutes before turning and cooking 2–3 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper.
Bloom the curry powder:
- Add the curry powder to the pot and cook, stirring to coat the vegetables with the powder, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Simmer the soup:
- Pour in the water or stock and bring to a boil. Simmer for 30–40 minutes until the carrots and beets are fork-tender. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Blend the soup:
- Add the coconut milk and blend the soup with an immersion blender until smooth and creamy. Taste and season once more.